A Poem: Remember





oh sarah tell me the story
the one of your ground cinnamon summer
remind me please; ive forgotten the song
tell me you still remember sarah
oh sarah do you remember?

i can still see the chants of the beggars
words bounce from lips to ears and inbetween the tracks
trapped and rolling in solitude with the wheels
i discover "alegria cinco pesos" spinning roundroundround
sarah, do you remember how they sold happiness?
i sniffed the glaring crimson at the market place
oh sarah i can still smell the vibrant sun
red glows hot like God himself played a trick on the sky
all the small children duck between my legs
remember the tiangis, sarah?
i am awakened by the cries of the tamales
the stench of rot teases my stomach
i gagged from the green leafed noises
mumbles pass to my listening ears over desayuno
do you remember what you whispered?
in every coffee bean or banana peel, i taste the wind
pushing back my wobbly cheeks the rushed air infiltrates
the moto refuses to scale the hill to our home
three people is two too much so we push and push
do you remember how bitter the world seemed?
the prayers whiz past my head and into heaven
it tickles me, sarah, just like we do to our little sister
my mouth feels the heaviness of each sacrament
not even the thickest floss can rid me of those words
sarah do you remember the old women's folded hands?

oh sarah please do you remember?
was our golden walled summer a dream?
you must recall these same stories
tell me you still remember sarah
oh sarai i have forgotten

No comments: