Cornerstone Poster Child Is Not So "Poster" Anymore.

I'm bored with my blog being depressing and lame.
I only ever want to blog when I'm in a bad mood cause it calms me.
Moving on.....

Growing up Cornerstoney, we had this one amazing guest pastor named Jonny D. He'd come speak to us about 3 times a year during chapel and we all loved it. He always had a bandanna in his back pocket, sunglasses on, hightop chucks, band tee, jeans shorts, and a goatee to top all that off. So basically... He was cool and we respected it.

Something he taught us (imagine him saying it)...
So if my wife asks me for coffee, I'll go pour her a cup of coffee, add two sugars, no milk, and an ice cube or two to cool it down. I do this because I KNOW her. She didn't say to me "babe, can you get me a cup of coffee with two sugars, an ice cube, and hold the milk." No. I know my wife so well that she doesn't even have to ask and I will provide for her. Your relationship with God should be this way too. He should know you so well that you dont have to even pray and ask for it. You're just so intamite with God that he should know your heart and anticipate your needs.

So I used to think that was the most amazing metaphor/analogy/parable/whatever. But now since I'm oh-so-not-cornerstoney anymore, I've reevaluated and I disagree. I see in Matthew that when Peter begins to sink after walking on water he then calls upon Jesus for help using words. Only after Jesus hears Peter's plea does Jesus lifts him from the water. Jesus saw Peter sinking... He knew. He just wanted Peter to ask. Power of the spoken word.  Matthew 7:7 and 2 Chronicles 7:14 clearly states that we must come to our Father in prayer and once we ask we will receive. And lastly (can't find scriptural reference) somewhere in the Bible (probably Psalms) someone is praying and they basically plead a case to God. This is what I need; and this is why I need it; and this is how you can give it to me. Pray with confidence! Pray bold!

I like his whole idea of being intimate with God... But I think he may have confused a lot of students.

Most importantly I learned this about myself....
And this is important
I'm beginning to think on my own.
That took twentyish years.

No comments: